Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Work it out

It's been a great week so far! After I drop the boys off at their respective schools (one's in middle school, the other in elementary so I'm the chauffeur :), I come home and try to stay off the computer for a while, do my workout, then study. I'm completing my ACE Personal Trainer studies - just another goal that I've set for myself. In fact I started studying for this a few years back, then got sidelined with back surgery (I was in every sport growing up in the midwest, resulting in my more mature years in a L5/S1 herniation which required fusion surgery).
Thanks to Graeme's Fix the Back workout (http://www.cyclo-club.com/members/627.cfm) and all the other great core workouts I became stronger than ever in the last 3 years.

Now, I'm back on track and back on the bike but more than ever finding more balance in my workouts. So it really isn't just about the bike if you want to get stronger. Especially as we women age we must find the right combination of on and off-the-bike workouts to make us stronger, quicker, faster, leaner, and lighter.

I've been using a hybrid approach most recently combining my personal and group training background and incorporating Pilates (luckily I own a reformer which is a miracle worker of sorts), the Bender Ball (this completely isolates and activates your core and turns off those hip flexors, the Gliding Discs (balance plus core work = great glutes, legs, inner core work) and of course throw in a few Graeme workouts and you've got a well rounded program.

Check out my workout schedule and I'd love to chat with you - let me know what you're working on as well - maybe we can compare notes and meet our goals together.

best
Joy

2 comments:

Tightwads of PDX! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tightwads of PDX! said...

Tell me more about the Bender Ball and Gliding Discs... I have no indea what those are. Always looking for fun new ways to key my fit on!

Pilates rocks, I'm a big fan of the mat class... maybe I'll mix some of that into my offseason.

Keep up the good work, Joy!
josh

Every Day Cyclist Challenge